Aaron Patton

Mr. Matheson

English 110C

4 March 2016

IMRAD Midterm

My name is Aaron Patton and I am enrolled in the English 110C course instructed by Mr. Kole Matheson. I am in my spring semester of my freshman year at Old Dominion University, and during the previous fifteen weeks I was enrolled in the UNIV 150 english course. By passing that prerequisite course and the Writing Sample Placement Test I was able to progress into the next level of english. The UNIV 150 english course was a great source of extra writing practice, it taught me new techniques and strategies for writing and reading at a college level, and it built up my confidence as a writer; which allowed for an easy transition into the next course. To truly succeed in my endeavors within the English 110C course I should plan all assignments out thoroughly, stay ahead of schedule on all assignments, and attending as many classes as possible this semester.

There are plenty of methods to my madness for success in the English 110C course. For example, when preparing for an assignment I tend to sit back, while alone, and mentally plan out my topic for a few minutes. Then if necessary, I will write down side thoughts to add into the assignment later on down the road. Additional usage of informational and reliable resources located on the Old Dominion’s Library website, such as scholarly articles, books, newspaper articles, and more extend the possibilities for achievement. Also attending classes punctually, writing and reading on a regular basis, mixed with analyzing the works of literature increases the chances of greater accomplishment.

By reading the stories assigned in the book “Writing in Response” by Matthew Parfitt, it teaches me how to analyze and comprehend from the writing for the writing journal assignments. Attendance of every class Monday, Wednesday, and Friday ensures that I will never miss any upcoming or additional assignments. Another great way to stay ahead in the class is always completing assignments as soon as they are assigned. As for the writing journals, including each and every SLO analysis at the end will greatly enhance the chances of a better final exam grade at the completion of the semester. Not to mention, one of my greatest assets I have been blessed with this spring is being hired by the Digital Services Center at the Perry Library; this grants me access to more opportunities for writing help, such as tutors for essays and other related english based curriculum.

In all of my classes not only English, my grades are typically on the higher side of the grading scale. At this moment and time I currently have a 93% in the English 110C course, and I certainly plan to maintain that grade at all costs. I have completed every writing journal assignment, exam, essay, and other miscellaneous pieces of work to the best of my ability. Which in return, has helped me achieve and earn my A in this class at the midway point.

Maintaining my current writing and reading strategies, techniques, and keeping up the motivation within the class will allow for continuation of accomplishment and achievement. The requirement of passing this course with a grade of C or higher, is one of the more definitive prerequisites of acceptance into the College of Arts and Letters. Passing this class will also greatly enhance my chances of moving forward into the level 200 english course and the pursuit of my major, Criminal Justice. Through the continuation of this hard work and dedication, I will ultimately pass the final exam and English 110C with a proficient  overall final grade. I know times may become difficult and stressful, however if i continue to persevere I will achieve greatness and success in all aspects of life.