Library Websites

Creating a visually appealing website for a school library is important. It is a resource that can help students, parents, and teachers.

MMHS Janice M. Mills Library Learning Commons

The first thing that I noticed about this school library website is the name: “Learning Commons.” This phrases, to me, helps build unity within the school. I also like that this site shows images of students to continue creating unity within the school. These are things that I wish to incorporate in my own school library web page.

Exeter Township Junior High Library Page

https://www.exeter.k12.pa.us/domain/229

This site is a page within the Exeter school district, rather than a separate page all on its own. However, the librarian has done an exceptional job at making it stand out. I like that this site uses a Bitmoji. This shows that the librarian is working to stay relevant and current with trends to connect with her readers. The site is organized with links and menus that are easy to find and navigate. While it doesn’t seem like it is updated, it has a link in the lefthand menu titled “Mrs. Sowers Reads.” I would like to incorporate a page in my site to include a reading list of books that I am reading to help connect with my students.

Bella Vista Library

https://www.sanjuan.edu/domain/334

The first thing that I noticed about this school’s library page is that it is incredibly interactive. The librarian has spent a lot of time creating Bitmojis and interactive links to click on. I especially like the Thinglink that this librarian included. Thinglink is an interactive, virtual tool that almost works like a 3D virtual tour. This librarian has created one for their school library and when you click on it, it takes you to an image of the library where you can click on the shelves and be taken to links to resources, books, rules, book-lists, etc. I found it incredibly appealing and neat. However, my one criticism is that there are A LOT of links and buttons to click and it is a little overwhelming.

Summary

Overall, I would like to make sure that my website is organized and easy to navigate. I would like to incorporate a reading list of books that I am reading to connect to my students. I would also like to name the web page “Learning Commons” and I would also like to include a 3D virtual tour of the library using Thinglink or another similar platform to make the website interactive.